"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dear Mr. Obama:

Following was a letter posted as a comment to a Big government article.  Thank you, Mr. Doakes, for your candor:
----------------------
September 21, 2010



Dear Mr. Obama,

As I’ve said before I’m a born and bred capitalist. Born, because I was fortunate enough to be born an American, and bred because I was fortunate enough to have parents that worked hard to make sure I could survive, and if at all possible thrive. Not so with you, but that is another story. Regardless, one of the false notions that you seem to labor under is that business and entrepreneurs will not respond to asinine regulatory or tax policy. Speaking from my own local experience you are absolutely wrong.

Case in point. My local GM dealer is gone. Washed away by CAFE standards, lucrative Union contracts, and the hold up by your administration accomplished against the bond holders. To add insult to injury you used the public treasury to buy used cars that still had useful life, with a treasury I remind you that has no money, other than what hostile foreign powers will lend us. Also, I’ve got lots of houses near me I’d like to buy and fix up, maybe sell them, and make a profit. I’m a handy guy. The fly in the ointment here is that I can’t predict what I’ll be forced to do at point of sale or the point of a government gun - so I do nothing. In addition, there is piece of property near me that is a prime spot for a home style burger joint, it is near a school, alcohol license is not an issue for me, but the law is. First, the liability of opening those doors to even serve my first burger is insurmountable. Then, there are the employees, and the burden that the state of New York and Federal government puts on the business owner. Again before I’ve even invested a dime my idea is dust.

You see people are smart. That is why you construct these laws so that small business can’t be started in the first place unless they are visible enough to tax, track, and abuse through never ending attack of regulatory agencies, such that they don’t want to hire anyone even if they can get more profit out of the choice; essentially the unknown risk of government far exceeds any benefit reaching for that next piece of business is worth. So my money sits, and my pile shrinks due to inflation, and no reward for saving other then survival. This is what creates the “beans and hot dog” environment that that government worker was eluding to at the CNBC town hall.

I understand a pinko like your self thinks that one day I’ll wake up and forget all of this and go pursue my dreams, but keep dreaming. I’m rational and so is anyone with money. “A fool and his money are soon parted” and there is nothing more foolish than Big Government with a printing press in charge of a welfare state with open borders! You see, I know that a government agent, a tax authority, a regulator, union official, or “obamacare” is just waiting to destroy me. So why open my doors, on an individual basis, in the first place? Someone once asked me why do corporations give to both parties - I told them straight out - protection money. Who do they need protection from? The government. Who do they pay? The government. Do you understand now why I’m writing more now than ever? I’m tried of the racket and so are the American people.

On November 2, 2010 we will, at least for a time, put it to a stop. If those newly elected join with you in the government mafia, well, we will just have to do this all over again in 2012, 2014, 2016 . . . again, you may own the clocks, but we’ve got the time.

Respectfully,

Joe Doakes

No comments: